Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Baked Potato Soup


This isn't the first time I've made this recipe. It isn't even the second. It might be the third. I can't remember. Anyway, I've made it quite a few times, and every single time, Carl gets disappointed when it's gone. You might think, "Well gee Molly, just make a double batch!" And to that I'd say I was already ahead of you, and I make triple batches :/ It's delicious. It's the perfect soup for these cool fall days and I, too, get sad when it is all gone!

I've adapted a bit since that original recipe, so these are actually my instructions.

Ingredients

  • 3 turkey bacon strips, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (more if you like it thick, less if you like it thinner)
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Optional (I don't use the following, I'm more of a purist :) )
  • Shredded Cheddar cheese
  • Minced fresh parsley

Directions

  1. In a stockpot, cook bacon until crisp (I spray my pan with a little cooking spray since the Turkey Bacon doesn't produce grease). Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the same pot until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. I add the bacon in at this point and stir, but you can also just top the soup with the crispy bacon.
P.S. I apparently cannot photograph potato soup. I promise, I tried. Twice. I gave up.

4 comments:

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Sounds great! Love potato soup and I love that you use turkey Bacon!:)

The How To Mommy said...

I am SO COLD right now and that sounds amazing. Please send some my way. Thanks for linking up. :)

Ashley @ It's Fitting said...

That sounds awesome!!!

Lindsay said...

YUM, sounds amazing!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin