Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Molten Chocolate Cakes
I found this recipe thanks to Monica! I could NOT believe how unbelievably easy and tasty it was! I cut the recipe in half since it was just Carl and me having them. I baked them in our ramekins, and it was the perfect one serving size. The only thing I'll do different next time is drizzle some raspberry or strawberry sauce on the top.....now I'm off to find that sauce!
* 4 ounces unsalted butter, plus more for buttering
* 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
* 2 large eggs
* 2 large egg yolks
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 pinch salt
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more to use for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Butter and flour the four ramikins, tap out excess flour.
3. Melt butter with the chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water.
4. Beat the whole eggs, egg yolks, salt and sugar at high speed until pale and thickened.
5. Whisk the chocolate and butter until smooth.
6. Fold it quickly into the egg mixture along with the flour.
7. Spoon into ramikins.
8. Place the ramikins on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centres are still soft.
9. Watch the cakes as baking them longer than 12 minutes results in them baking completely through.
10. Let them cool for one minute.
11. Run a knife around the edge of the cakes then invert them onto a plate.
12. Let them sit for a few seconds before unmolding.
13. Serve right away.