Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chicken Cacciatore



I was alone for dinner tonight, but was sick of eating crappy food....so tonight I decided to actually cook for myself. My mom, the full-time worker/full-time house mom sometimes had to cut corners to save time. So her version of Chicken Cacciatore included a jar. I still loved it all the same, but for myself I wanted to try one from scratch. So I browsed Cooks.com and found this recipe. I have to say, it was pretty darn good! I scaled it down a bit since I only wanted enough for me tonight for dinner and tomorrow for leftovers- but I'll just give you the full recipe.

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

1 lb. boneless chicken
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp. oil
1 (28 oz.) can tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 c. green pepper strips
1 1/2 c. rice

Cut chicken into strips; brown lightly with onion and garlic in oil. Drain off all oil and drippings. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings and green pepper. Bring to a full boil. Turn down heat. Stir and simmer about 20 minutes. (Can simmer longer.) Make rice. Serve cacciatore over rice, or to side. Serve with vegetable and-or salad. Makes 4 servings.

My Notes: This was really good, although next time I think I'll use more paste than I did. I think I skimped a little too much, and I would have liked the consistency a little better if it were thicker. Otherwise- delicious!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Molly.. you have been majorly slacking on your blog updates. I miss them!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin