Sunday, August 10, 2008

I'm a Meat and Potatoes Kind of Girl

Through and through, I will take a good red meat and potato over just about anything else I'm offered. So when I realized I had all day today to make dinner, I opened my slow cooker cook book and landed on "Spicy Beef Roast." I chose mashed potatoes and asparagus as the side dishes and it turned out really well.

The Spicy Beef Roast really wasn't spicy but it definitely had a LOT of flavor. It calls for a 3lb roast, but I bought a 4lb roast, cut it in half, food saved one part and cooked the other. It made enough for 4 people. So the saying is true, about 1/2 lb per person.

3 lb round tip roast
1 tbs cracked black peppercorns
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbs Balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dry mustard

Rub the cracked pepper and garlic into the roast. Place the roast in the Crock Pot and make several shallow slits in the top of the roast. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat. Cover, cook low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5.

My notes: Like I said, I used a 2 lb roast, but still followed the sauce instructions. 3 hours on high was plenty of time. I also turned the roast about every hour. Then when it was done, I added about half a cup of flour to the leftover sauce and it made a very flavorful gravy for the mashed potatoes and put more juice into the meat. I steamed the asparagus for 11 minutes (perfect) and used my handy Kitchen Aid for the mashed potatoes. Overall, the meal gets a 10!


OG said...

I've tried this recipe from my crock pot book too. :) It's yummy, and I love that it only needs a handful of ingredients! Happy cooking!

Mrs. Williams said...

I made this last night & thought I'd stop by & say thanks, it was great =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin